Cruise Countdown Tickers

Monday, November 3, 2008

November ... already?

Here I go again, marveling at how quickly time is passing. Ever need time to fly without stopping? Give birth.

Halloween was a good time, as always, though we didn't hand out nearly as much candy as years past. I think everyone went trick-or-treating at the same exact time we did, so by the time we were ready to hand out candy, no one was around. We only had maybe ten kids stop by, and Z was disappointed about that. (He has always loved handing out candy, not sure why.) But, overall, it was fun and Z looked adorable - although he'd be crushed to hear me say that. He was trying to be a tough Transformer, and as you know, Transformers are never to be described as adorable.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Don't be alarmed ... yes, you see what you think you see on my face. But it's fake blood, and fake bruising. Aaron and I never got around to buying costumes for ourselves this year, so he had the idea to just put blood on ourselves, but dress otherwise normal. It worked out well, and Z loved it.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Nothing like Daddy bleeding out of his eyes, and Mommy looking perky but just like she got her ass kicked. Ahhhhh. Z ended up getting so much candy, he was giving some of it away to me & Aaron yesterday. He said, "you guys can have some of this, because I'm never going to finish it all." Um, is he six? Or twenty-six?

Our next day consisted of watching that horrendous UT game. Argh. What a disaster! It was difficult to watch without pacing, cussing, or hurling things at the television, so it was a draining evening. Ken came over to suffer with us, and we all went to bed licking our wounds. For the first time all season, Aaron didn't stay up till midnight watching ESPN. It was so depressing, we just went straight to bed. (Becca, you say one more damn thing about that game, I swear I'll disown you as a friend.)

Lastly, I got up very early Sunday morning to go participate in the Race For The Cure 5k downtown. This year they had over 25,000 people turn out, so it was interesting trying to find your friends before the race! Amy met me there, and our intention was to run it together, while Becca came too and walked it with her hubby & babies in tow. Too bad Amy smoked me and had to leave me behind to walk every now & again. (Way to go Amy!) I didn't take the crappy office camera, because I didn't want to carry it while running/walking, so I don't have any pictures to share. But, imagine lots of people, lots of pink, and lots of good energy - that would just about sum it up. I was rather disappointed in myself that I couldn't run the full 3 miles without breaking to walk, but I guess it just gives me something to work towards next year. The worst part was watching 10-year old boys and girls lapping me, seemingly with minimal effort. I had the urge to either trip them or cry on the inside ... I opted for crying on the inside. I did learn from this experience though, that I desperately need a new pair of running shoes. My feet, ankles, and legs are still paying the price for this "brilliant" idea of mine as I type. But overall, I'm glad I did it, and hope to do better next year. There is no change without challenge, so I need to up my workouts and better prepare for this venture next year. I may complain about my sore muscles today, but at least I'm not contending with cancer. It was emotional to see the hand-written signs on the backs of everyone's shirts, stating whether they were running in memory of someone, or in celebration of someone. Almost everyone had one of these signs on, and many people had multiple names written on them. It was humbling and made me grateful that I was only there to challenge myself, and not because I or someone I am close with is fighting for their life. Cancer is a bitch, and I pray I never have to go down that path.

All in all, it was a fun, but emotional weekend, on many levels. It wasn't the normal, slow-paced, relaxing type of weekend, so I don't feel quite as refreshed today as I sit at my desk. Hopefully next weekend will be better - I'm pretty sure it will be, as far as the game ... then again, I guess you never know. I'll just say this -- if we get beat by Baylor, I'm going to fling myself off the Congress bridge. Hope everyone's Halloween weekend was safe & lots of fun. Until next time ...

Peace & pastries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute outfits!

I am not saying anything... la di la di da

Ok if Baylor wins over UT... I can see why you would jump. I don't think you will have to worry about that.