Cruise Countdown Tickers

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's been a busy few days!  Yesterday was Aaron's birthday, and we were still cramming as much time in with Elyssa as we could.  I finally have some pictures to post from my Dad's birthday, my parent's anniversary lunch, and Aaron's birthday.  Forgive the poor quality, this camera blows.  (No, I'm not bitter about not having my camera yet.  Ahem.)

Photobucket
Dad, unwrapping our gift.

Photobucket
His first glimpse of what it was.

Photobucket
His heart fluttering, as he saw the whole package.

Photobucket
The cake my Mom made him.

Photobucket
Letting Zach help him blow out the candles.

In case you were curious what we got him, I have a stock photo of that, since I didn't take a picture of ours.  It was the complete James Bond DVD set.  My Dad's always been a HUGE fan, but has only had his movies on VHS.  It was time to bring him into the 21st century, and he seemed to appreciate it.  A LOT.  :)  What guy doesn't love James Bond?  He's got it all!  The looks, the moves, the gadgets ... I think every guy wishes deep down that he could be Bond, at least for one day.  Sean Connery is my Dad's favorite bond, Roger Moore is Aaron's favorite, but Daniel Craig is mine.  [sigh]  If Aaron got to be Bond for a day, I hope he'd be that one.

Photobucket

Moving along to my parent's anniversary.  Zach and I took them out to lunch (Aaron had to work), and they chose Central Market.  Here are two pics from that afternoon:

Photobucket
Still has that devilish look in his eye for her, after 40 years.

Photobucket
The happy couple, with their grandkid.

Lastly, we celebrated Aaron's birthday with dinner at Zorba (our favorite Greek restaurant) and then went back to our house for presents and fried Twinkies.  Yes, you read that correctly - fried Twinkies.  Aaron wanted to change things up this year, so instead of a regular old birthday cake, he started browsing our bookshelves and my cookbooks for new ideas.  One of our favorite fun cookbooks is one that Aaron brought home for me a long time ago, and it's all about Twinkies.

Photobucket

We haven't tried many things in here, but what we have tried has been quite tasty.  Yes, we know Twinkies come with a stigma and with a general cringe from most people, but we fear not!  They are delicious and misunderstood, in our opinion.  Aaron flipped through the pages and stumbled across a recipe for fried Twinkies in chocolate sauce.  C'mon, admit it, it scares you, but intrigues you as well, right?  I know.  Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

Photobucket
Ken & the birthday boy, at dinner.

Photobucket
Z & Elyssa at dinner.
I think he would be happy if they could run off together,
but that's another blog.

Photobucket
The birthday boy's in-laws, at dinner.

Photobucket
Zachary, thrilled that Daddy liked his gift.

Photobucket
A happy Aaron, surprised at his gift.  
And, Zach, not able to resist the urge to give bunny-ears.

And, last but not least:

Photobucket
The fried Twinkies, in chocolate sauce with whipped cream.

They were a huge hit!  Even Zach caved in and tried one, and much to everyone's surprise (including himself), he liked it!  They taste and smell like a funnel cake, essentially.  Just with whipped cream on the inside.  So, you could say they are like a cream-filled funnel cake.  Not bad, though I wouldn't recommend eating these on a regular basis.  I had to ask if anyone was having chest pain after we were through.  Luckily, we all came out unscathed.

That brings us to today, which is Thanksgiving.  I'm up early, to try and blog before the boys wake up, and to start my contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's later.  I was assigned the green bean casserole & corn, so I now have to go make enough to feed seven willing adults, and one reluctant child.  (He loathes green beans.)  Toni is doing the turkey & stuffing, my Mom is doing the pies, and my Dad is doing the mashed potatoes - as requested by his grandson.  I have to admit, my Dad DOES make the world's best mashed taters, and we're all looking forward to them.  So, I'm off to go cook, but here is my list of things I'm thankful for today:

1.  Coffee.
2.  Having at least some kind of camera, even if it's crappy.
3.  Another year with us all together & healthy.

Photobucket

Until next time ...Photobucket

No comments: