Cruise Countdown Tickers

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Is Halloween really two weeks away?

Hello friends.  I've been quite busy lately, so I apologize for the lapse in blogging.

Today was gloriously rainy.  Austin has been caught in quite a drought these days (what else is new, I know), so the rain was welcomed.  For me, it's always welcome.  The humidity let up a little early this evening, which made it all the more wonderful.  We are so on-the-verge of cooler weather, I can almost taste it.  One can only take so much sunshine.

Photobucket

My camera has been dropped off at Conn's, and is en route to San Antonio to be looked at.  The Conn's guy told me it might only take 7 to 10 days, and stood behind that even after I told him not to toy with me.  Guess we'll see what happens.  I'm still using our office camera, and it's still painful, but I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize -- my repaired lovey or a new camera.

Not this past weekend, but the weekend before, we were invited to spend the day at the lake by Amy & Jim.  What a fabulous day this turned out to be!  Amy was also kind enough to let me take some photos with her brand-new waterproof digital camera.  That gave me a quick fix!  We got some really fun shots:

Photobucket
Just starting out.  Zach's first time on a boat, as well.

Photobucket
The captain & co-captain.

Photobucket
This turned disastrous in about six seconds.

Photobucket
Like I said ...

Photobucket
Two happy, soaked boys.

Photobucket
Me & Amy, jumping at the chance to lounge.

Photobucket
The boys later imitated us.

Photobucket
Amy & Preston.

Photobucket
Me & Z.

Photobucket
Amy knee-boarding.  What a stud!

Photobucket
Look at her go!

Photobucket
Deep in conversation about something.

Photobucket
Super happy kids.

The weather was perfect, the kids behaved like a dream, we had food -- all good things.  It was just what Aaron & I needed, after the night before.  "What happened the night before?" you ask?  Aaron's 15-year high school reunion, that's what.  Aaron, his best friend Jamie, and I all went down to a new bar on Congress and attempted to re-live the glory days.  It was actually really fun, but man, it was a little harder to get out of bed the next morning than it used to be.  Yikes.  Thank God for Excedrin Migraine and Pepsi.  

Photobucket
The "posed" Aaron & Jamie.

Photobucket
The real Aaron & Jamie.  (And Armand.)

I didn't have my camera, obviously, so thanks to Emily for these pictures.  I won't show any more of them - I don't want to incriminate anyone.  Hehe.

The auction project I've been a part of the past few weeks is finally coming together.  I think we're very close to completing this thing, and that's a relief.  This amazingly kind local photographer has donated her time and skillz (yes, with a "z") to create a composite for us, and it's coming together beautifully.  I was emailed a teaser of what had been done so far, and this is it:

Photobucket
Sorry, I know it's small, but I didn't want all the kids faces up here 
for the world to see, without their parents' permission first.  
You understand, right?

I can't wait to see it with all of the photos, kids' names, and then framed.  I'm hoping people end up liking it and bidding on it at the silent auction in November.  I tried to capture the essence of each kid when I was taking their pictures, but it was hard to do with such little time.  I only had about 2 minutes with each one, and since I'm a perfect stranger only known to them as "Zach's Mom", it wasn't easy to get them to loosen up that quickly.  Hopefully I was able to get at least a little of who they are, and that will draw people in.  

Lastly, we're only two weeks out from Halloween!  HOORAY!  We are biiiiiiig Halloween fans around here, and we can't wait for the big day.  Z picked out his costume, and I know it won't shock anyone to hear he chose to be a Transformer again this year.  Last year, he was Optimus Prime, and this year it's Bumblebee:

Photobucket
(A stock photo - no, that's not my kid.)

This costume is new for 2008 and sent him into overdrive when he first saw it.  At the local places around town, it was close to or exactly $50.00 (cough cough), but thrifty Mommy found it online at BuyCostumes.com for a mere $33.00, including shipping.  I am living proof that sometimes it actually pays off to shop online.

That's about all that's been going on these days.  Well, except for a dear friend of mine who just welcomed his baby girl into the world (welcome Clare Evelyn & congrats to Joel & his wife!) and another who is dealing with an engagement that's been called off - everyone send good vibes out to Elyssa, even if you don't know her.  She's an amazing, kick-ass human being that got the short end of the stick in this situation, and the result is her first broken heart.  [sniff sniff]  I love you Elyssa, and A will never again find someone like you.  He's bonkers to walk away from this.  I don't know if he's just trying to find himself or if he's temporarily gone insane, but either way, you deserve better.  Hang in there, friend!  Dallas is only 4 weeks away.

Guess I will retire for the night, but only after I pack up my gym bag.  My eyes are getting heavy, and I can feel my bed calling me.  (Actually, I can hear the new mattresses I laid on at Conn's calling me louder, but they don't understand how expensive they are.)  Z's been in bed for an hour now and Aaron's been submerged in the Presidential debate, so I wanted to take the opportunity to jump on here and give a quick update.  Until next time ...

Peace & pastries.



3 comments:

E said...

I love you Pilly and am anxiously looking forward to my return so I can visit you!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your baby will be home soon. Looks like you and Amy had a great time! Love the pics!

Anonymous said...

So I totally don't think that I knew you had your own blog site, and what a blogger you are!!! -Lynai