Cruise Countdown Tickers

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

284 days

What a weekend! It went by quickly, and we never seemed to slow down for very long, but it was still good. As some of you already know, we fulfilled Z's wish & got him his first skateboard.

Photobucket

He only asked that it had a skull on it somewhere - mission accomplished. He loves it! And, I must say, he's pretty good for a novice. I'm sure no one will be shocked to hear I snapped a few photos of his first time out:

Photobucket

Photobucket
Praying before he started. Hahaha.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We've done it almost every day for a week now, and he hasn't lost interest. Yay! Just glad to know throwing down money for a good beginner's skateboard wasn't in vain.

After his first outing with his new board, we made him come home and shower, which led to him becoming Captain Underpants.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Running through the house, in a blaze of glory.

If you've never read or heard of the Captain Underpants books, and if you have a son, I'd highly recommend them. We devour them, in their entirety, each time a new volume comes out. Good times.

Saturday, Aaron had a rare day off, so we used it up to take care of some bidness. Had to get Z a new pair of Vans, had to go grocery shopping, we made some time to visit with a good friend who was on-leave from Afghanistan (we love you, Paul!), and I baked cupcakes for Fun Fest.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I tried to make more boy-ish ones with the sprinkles I
had on-hand, but they inadvertently came out
more Mardi Gras-ish, than anything.

After our chores were taken care of, Z bolted over to Ken's house for some "guy time", & Mom and Dad went on a date. It was actually a double-date this time, with Jamie & his lovely girlfriend Lisa, and a good time was had by all. I got my Mongolian Beef & Jade Martini, as mentioned in a previous blog, and we finished off the evening at Twin Peaks. (Don't ask - they wanted to grab a beer or two, and it was the closest place that wasn't charging a cover. Big boxing match on that night, so everyone was trying to milk people at the door. Um, I think not. I'm almost 35 - I don't pay cover to go anywhere.) It was a fun evening, full of laughs, but we didn't drink much because we knew we had Fun Fest all day the next day.

Sunday, we spent the entire day making cotton candy in a booth, outdoors. Correction: Aaron made cotton candy all day in a booth, outdoors. My friend Karen and I helped him out with the heat for the machine and taking tickets, but he definitely did the most of the work. We did the calculations at the end of the day & figured he did around 300 individual cotton candies that day. My hero!! Those machines are harder to work than they might seem. Karen and I probably did about 3o combined, but Aaron did the rest & won "Dad of the Year" that afternoon. I'm sure he'll think that's nice & all, but he'd rather have the ability to raise his arms above his head, as he once could before Fun Fest happened.

Photobucket

We were all covered in cotton candy residuals, from head to toe, by the time the day was done. My parents came to the festival, then back to our house for dinner once we were through, and after eating, we excitedly booked our cruise!! Yes, the highlight of the day, by far. It is now official - we have cabin #6502 waiting for us. Ahhhhhh. I'm so happy, I could piddle.

That takes us to Monday, where nothing terribly exciting happened, and the same for yesterday. It's the beginning of the month again, which means I'm pretty busy at work. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is be on the computer again, having spent all day staring at one. I've been really tired this week, which means part of my neurotic brain has been praying it's not the swine flu, though the bigger part of my rational brain knows it's not. I just gave away how crazy I am, didn't I?

Three things I'm grateful for today:

1. Cruises.
2. My child not having the swine flu.
3. Hugs.

More soon ...

No comments: