Cruise Countdown Tickers

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Skateboarding, pod casts, and swine flu

I woke up this morning, and had no idea what day it was. I had to sit there for a second, on the edge of my bed, and really wrack my brain to try & figure out if I needed to be getting up at 5:30am to take a shower or not. I still wasn't even sure when I walked into the bathroom & turned the shower on, but I had a hunch it was what I should be doing. That was a first for me. I guess this is part of getting older? Losing your mind for teeny, tiny chunks of time? I suppose I don't have to worry until the day I can't figure out the answer to "what day is it?" (I ended up figuring it out this morning by looking at my calendar, and seeing which day didn't have an "x" through it, after my shower.)

Zach informed me yesterday that he would like to try skateboarding, in addition to signing up for soccer this summer. The skateboarding kind of took me off guard, not in a bad way, but just because we've never really talked about it unless we've seen someone wiping out on one during America's Funniest Videos. I told him I would be letting to let him try, as long as he promised to wear a helmet and knee-pads in the beginning. He thought about it for a second, then said, "ok", so we're going to head over to Academy tonight & price things out. It'll be interesting to see how far this goes.

I played Rock Band for the first time ever on Tuesday night. Z and I went up to Aaron's store so Z could see him before bed (Tuesdays are Aaron's long nights, and he gets home after Z is in bed), and we moseyed over to Best Buy after dinner. Z was intrigued by the Rock Band set-up they had there, and I couldn't resist the opportunity. WOW, that game is a blast! I can see why kids get hooked on it, seriously. I kicked major ass on some song I've never even heard before, and man, I looked cool doing it. Hopefully Z will ask for one of those down the line, so I don't look like a loser buying it for myself.

This week, so far, has been all about this swine flu. I got nervous in the beginning, having visions of "Outbreak" & everyone walking around in jumpsuits by the week's end. I'm better now, but still washing my hands more than normal - you can never be too careful. A friend of mine on Facebook just wrote a status update that said a kid tested positive for it at her daughter's elementary school - eek. That is the first I've heard of it in Austin, though I guess it showing up in Austin was inevitable. First off, Mexico is so close, and second, it was already in San Antonio & Dallas, so we were sitting ducks - right in the middle. I'm just hoping & praying that my kid's school goes unscathed. A 23-month old in Texas died from it Tuesday, but they haven't released where in Texas the child lived. I'm just thankful I'm not a Mom who has their kid in daycare right now. I'd be stressed, even more so than just the stress of having them in there in the first place.

On a lighter note, I have something to look forward to this weekend - a date night! Yahoo! I live for these, it seems. This one is actually going to be a double-date, which should be loads of fun. A nice dinner at PF Chang's (Mongolian beef & Jade martinis, come to Mama!), and drinks afterward. Ahhhh, sounds perfect. Saturday can't get here fast enough, though Sunday can take it's time getting here, since we have to spend the whole day up at our church. It's the school's annual "Fun Fest", and I'm chairing the cotton candy booth. Not my idea of a relaxing day ...

Lastly, I recently discovered Anthony Bourdain's free podcast on iTunes, and I couldn't be happier. The podcasts basically consist of him chatting with other interesting people, including Eric Ripert (love him!), Tom Colicchio (him too!), and Morimoto (he rocks!). I've been in heaven today, listening/watching these podcasts at my desk & I just have to say, technology rocks my socks. The more Anthony, the better.

Three things I'm grateful for today:

1. Free podcasts.
2. Date nights.
3. All the rain we just through having.

Peace & pastriest to all ... until next time.

No comments: