Cruise Countdown Tickers

Monday, June 17, 2013

Sausages galore.

Whew! Last week was a blur. Albeit a blur made up of good laughs and lots of food, but boy, it went by quick. Wednesday evening, we met the BFF and her husband for another comedy show. This time, we were at Cap City Comedy Club, the headliner was Josh Wolf, and his opening act was Tommy Pope.

 photo image_zps31513964.jpg
Hooray! Date night!

 photo image_zpsfdd94724.jpg

 photo image_zps70466d63.jpg


Once again, I had never heard of either of these guys, and once again, they were hysterical. My friends have good taste in comedic talent! Seriously, if you need a laugh, find these guys on YouTube or watch Josh Wolf on Chelsea Lately. An added perk? We got to meet them and talk to them some after the show.

 photo image_zps674f0a10.jpg
Josh Wolf is in the middle, Tommy Pope and the emcee Bob are
photobombing us in the back.

 photo image_zps5ba76ddf.jpg
Me and Tommy Pope. Oh, and emcee Bob ... again.
(Psssst, Bob ... that's only funny once.)

 photo image_zpscfb03bd7.jpg
My Josh Wolf autograph - we played a guessing game on how to
spell my name as he was writing, so ...

 photo image_zpseb8a60b2.jpg
The BFF's autograph. Funny guy.

I finished out the week with what else? Yes, amazing food. Thanks to my boss for this trip -- it was mahvelous, to say the very least. We went over to Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden, a pretty tasty joint off Rainey Street. I must say, their sausages don't blow me away and most of their food is in dire need of a few shakes of salt, but their jalapeno mac & cheese and their chili cheese fries rock my socks. Hard.

  photo image_zps6a673770.jpg

 photo image_zps5c6ed774.jpg
Hail the holy chili cheese fries. I am NOT a chili cheese kind of gal, but these are good.
Like, cut-a-bitch good. I could eat these for the rest of my life, if I didn't fear how
big my ass would get. Just looking at them gets me all revved up again.

 photo image_zps0f454a8f.jpg
This is my third time to Banger's (what can I say, it's my boss' favorite place these days), and 
this sausage is probably the best one I've tried, so far. It's the drunken chicken sausage, 
comprised of beer, Serrano peppers, red pepper flakes, cilantro, and more beer. You get to
pick your bun, sauce, and toppings, so I went with the chef-suggested kolache bun, 
caramelized onions, and garlic aioli. Hell yes.

 photo image_zps03c546d7.jpg
This is the other thing they have that sends my heart soaring -- jalapeno mac & cheese.
I ordered the red beans & rice, at the server's urging, and it reinforced how much I don't
trust anyone's opinion but my own. My boss got this mac & cheese and thankfully,
shared it with me. At least they took the unholy red beans & rice off our bill.

Because you can never eat too many sausages in one weekend, we also opted for a trip to Sprouts Saturday night to get some of our own to grill. Green chili pork, chicken parmesan, sweet Italian, and chicken apple were what we brought home, as well as some teriyaki marinated steak kabobs for Z. Oh, how happy grilling makes this girl.

 photo image_zps55069666.jpg

 photo image_zps7e3c5cf9.jpg
Pre-grilling close-up.

 photo image_zps1e87c27c.jpg
My chicken sausages, topped with grilled onions and
Whataburger mustard. (Yes, it is sold in stores now - there is a God.)
Paired up with fresh corn on the cob from the Farmer's Market last weekend - sublime!

I also decided to attempt drying my own strawberries in the oven this weekend, for a healthy fruit snack with no added crap. I found a how-to on my beloved Pinterest, and proceeded to slice up an entire container of strawberries. She said to make them thin, because she cut hers thick, and it didn't work as well as she had hoped it would. 

 photo image_zps4765fd1e.jpg
My beautiful, thin cut berries.

 photo image_zps74d7cb7f.jpg
In the oven, according to directions. Fast forward a little ...

 photo image_zps0c03d552.jpg
Epic fail. Guess I sliced them TOO thin. Sigh.

I'll try it again next weekend, I know I can nail this. Lastly, on Sunday, I decided to do something I've been wanting to do for a while now -- dive into the Doctor Who series!

 photo image_zps105b30bc.jpg

My Dad and I used to watch the really old version of this show on PBS when I was a kid, but I had always been curious about it after it was resurrected in 2005. Since we have Amazon Prime (best invention ever, by the way), I can watch all episodes of all the old seasons for free. Boom! Love it.

So, those were the highlights of our week, and weekend. I won't bore anyone about how hot its getting, because we all know how much hot weather sucks. (I hate you summer!) But, I did send off my Foodie PenPal package this past scorching Saturday, and I'm excited to be receiving mine sometime within the next week! It's nice having something to look forward to, besides sweating!

More soon! xoxo

No comments: