Cruise Countdown Tickers

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Checking in

Hello folks! I'm still here, alive & well, albeit busy and ready for August to be over with. I haven't blogged much, because I didn't want to bore anyone to tears. My life has become somewhat mundane, not much different from the report in my last blog entry, so I thought I might spare everyone of redundancy. I can sum it up quickly:

- Endure heat.
- Go to work.
- Come home from work & sleep.

That's it. Honestly.

The only thing new recently that stirred up some magic around here was the first day of school! Yes, I officially have a first-grader on my hands, and it's surreal. I won't indulge myself here with a trip down memory lane, but I can't guarantee that won't happen when he turns 7 in a mere two weeks.

Photobucket
The pose for Mom, the morning of his first day.

Photobucket
The pose *he* wanted to do, after Mom got her "normal" pic.

He was thrilled to find out he would be reunited with his best friend Khoa this year - yes, they both ended up in the same class. Ms. Crowley better watch out! She'll have her hands full with those two knuckleheads. He told me on the way home today:

Z: "Mommy, first grade is SO much better than kindergarten."
Me: "How come?"
Z: "Because you aren't being WATCHED every second of the day."

Guess they're giving the kids a smidgen more freedom than last year, and apparently, he's become accustomed to it already. I do think nap/rest time being taken out of his day is getting to him already, though. He rarely napped then, but he still got the chance to rest in the middle of his day. He actually admitted to me how tiring today was, because it was a full day, versus yesterday which was only a half-day. You have to understand - my child never admits he's tired. Even if he's falling asleep right in front of your eyes, he'll still deny being tired in the slightest. Oh, my little boy is maturing & growing up.

Sidebar: Yes, I did sign up to be room-parent again this year. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. Aaron called me a glutton for punishment. I say it's because I'm a control freak. Maybe it's a little of both?

Other than school starting, I literally have nothing else of value to say. Well, I probably do about some stuff, but I'm too wiped out to follow through on any of it. I will say this, though - I've decided I want to be one of my own pets:

Photobucket
Hey! That's my chair!

Photobucket
Hey! That's my pillow!

My next big project, besides overcoming the end of the month at work, is planning Z's impending birthday party. He asked for a Chuck E Cheese party this year, so here we come Chuck. He also decided on a Spongebob theme, thankfully, because his first choice was Wolverine & The X-Men, which was next to impossible to find. Spongebob is everywhere, so getting decorations will be a snap. I found a great site that sells packaged deals for a pretty decent price, so I'll be ordering that tomorrow. I must admit, I do love Spongebob, so I was happy with his choice. How do you not love a sea sponge with the innocence, spirit, & humor of a 4-year old?

Three things I'm grateful for:

1. School starting.
2. That it's August 18, which means I'm
over the halfway mark in the month.
3. That Top Chef starts tomorrow night! Woot!

Peace & pastries to everyone, until next time, when I have more interesting things to write about ...


3 comments:

Becca said...

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! CEC?!?!?
Bowling! I thought we where brainwashing for bowling! HA! :)~

He looks adorable in his uniform! I so wish our school had them! Lucky girl! :)

Thanks for the update. Glad to know you are still alive poor Phyl. Soon you will have some freedom too!

Kyla said...

He's SO cute!!

LHB said...

Good thing Mama Kitty takes to under the bed or you wouldn't have any place left to sit in your living room from the looks of it!

I heart Z's cute little uniform! Oh I remember the uniform days...you will both appreciate it when he is in high school even more!