Cruise Countdown Tickers

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Yay for Saturday!

No, no, I haven't finished sifting & sizing all the spring break pictures yet.  Soon, I swear.  Just had to update on the success of my maple bacon cupcakes!

Here's what the little guys turned out looking like:

Photobucket

Photobucket
The original recipe said to crumble the bacon, but I rebelled.
I thought the strip looked better.

They are totally GOOD!  They come out tasting like a pancake with light syrup, and a piece of bacon on the side - all in one bite.  Delish!  If you can get past the mental block of eating bacon in/on your cupcake, I would highly suggest giving them a try.  I had to tweak the recipe a little here & there as I went along, but I think I tweaked things correctly.  They were a big hit at the office, and most importantly, the birthday boy loved them.  He was hesitant at first, until he saw our maintenance guy down two of them in about 20 seconds, then he took the plunge.  He texted me around dinner time yesterday to let me know he couldn't wait to eat one for breakfast today, and that I might have created the most perfect breakfast food, ever.  Awww.

I also made one more thing for our boss-man, and this one was more of a running joke.  A little background - a friend of his who knows of his love for bacon, sent him a recipe over email for a bacon cheese roll.  Despite my deep love for cheese, as well as fried pork products, this concoction still frightened me.  It made my arteries quiver in fear, just looking at the photos of how to make it.  Even still, Jaime lost his mind and he made me come in his office to look at the glorious thing his friend had sent to him.  Watching him drool and talk about it, you would've thought he had a picture of boobs on his screen.  So, my co-workers and I dared him to make it and actually live to tell us about it, but he still had not done it yet.  We figured we needed to bring his wet bacon dream to life.  So I did, yesterday morning.

Photobucket
 Before rolling it.

Photobucket
Post rolling it.  There's really no way to dress up 
the presentation of massive grease.

Photobucket
Happy Jaime, facing his own mortality.

Of course, he wanted to share his heart-stopping gift with the rest of us, so we were troopers and tried a small piece.  My gut reaction?  It would be really good alongside a cold beer.  (I'm such a guy deep down on the inside.)  The amount of grease was alarming, and it needed draining several times along the cooking process, but Jaime was ecstatic to see it in real life, on a plate, all for him.  Mission accomplished.  I should probably text him today and make sure he's still alive ...

I would say you could call my bacon-related culinary adventures of yesterday a success.  Our maintenance guy offered me $20 a week if I would bring those cupcakes in every Friday morning.  I must admit, I don't care to see, touch, or smell bacon for a long, long time, but my love for all other things pork-related continues.  Hence my decision to have carnitas tacos last night.  Gosh golly, they were incredibly good.

Today, we have a hot movie date night with Monsters vs. Aliens at 7pm.  I'm loving that Z is old enough to go to the movies now.  That's one thing I missed for the first few years of his life.  The three of us will take on the town and gorge ourselves on movie theater goodies, then come home and pass out.  Hell yeah!  Bring it!

Three things I'm grateful for today:

1.  Crisp, sunny weather.
2.  Vanilla yogurt raisins.
3.  Going to the movies!

Peace & pastries to all.  And hugs too!

No comments: