Cruise Countdown Tickers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

72 hours

Very rarely, especially these days, does a film come along that blows me away. It's been ages since I've sat through a movie that made me experience emotions I wasn't anticipating, and I felt better for having watched it. (I think the last time I can remember that happening was "American History X", so that explains how rarely this takes place.) I am happy to say, it has finally happened again, and you need to watch this documentary, whomever you are.

I stumbled across it on my Netflix page, because I hit the genre "Documentaries" on the Netflix instant-viewing page to have something playing on my computer while I worked. The first one on the list was called "Dear Zachary", and naturally, it caught my eye because of the title. The synopsis of the film didn't really jump out & grab me, but I thought I'd give it a shot, and clicked on the link. Little did I know how much it would affect me 93 minutes later.

I don't know if I could describe the film, and do it any justice, but I will simply summarize by saying it's a film you should see. In light of all the garbage out there with "reality" television taking over the airwaves, this movie is an inspiring, amazing true-story journey through one family's sacrifice and grief. If you are interested in learning more about it before you watch, here is the trailer:



Little did I know, this movie has been out for over a year now, and cleaned house of all possible awards at film festivals around the world. (Click here for the film's official website.) That bugs me, because it could appear that I watched this movie because of all it's accolades, but honestly, the movie found me. Thanks, Netflix.

Other than being riveted unexpectedly by a documentary, we've been preparing for our big trip this week. Only a mere 72 hours before we hit the road, and we could not be more excited. The weather has taken a drastic turn from the last week of 80's and sunshine, to a chilly high of 45 with gusty winds and rain. It'll be interesting to see what kind of weather we encounter in the great outdoors next week, which only adds to the excitement of our adventure.

This past weekend was fairly low-key, with Aaron working some and going to see my Dad "in action" at his church. The parish he belongs to is *finally* breaking ground and building a new worship space (this has been 15 years coming), so he was part of the ceremony, along with the Bishop and two other priests, to bless the ground, and dig the first hole.

Photobucket
Before the ceremony, in his Deacon outfit.

Photobucket
Sitting with Bishop Greg.

Photobucket
Doing his Deacon duties.

Photobucket
The Knights of Columbus.

Photobucket
Signing the dedication.

Photobucket
Chillin' with Father Jim, while the Bishop sprinkled the grounds
with holy water.

Photobucket
After the first dig.

Photobucket
Everyone was encouraged to bring soil from their own homes
to sprinkle into the soil that the church will be built on.
This is Z sprinkling my dirt from my parents' home.

The weekend also consisted of going with my sister to buy her first Apple purchase. I was beaming with pride, and of course, I had to capture the moment.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Toni, and her salesman, Chad.

After the purchase, we wandered down to The California Pizza Kitchen to grab a late dinner. Since Z was so patient with us browsing the Apple store for so long, we had to make it worth his while.

Photobucket
His M&M sundae, minus the hot fudge. He doesn't like hot fudge.
(wtf?)

Photobucket
Listening intently to his Aunt, and savoring the moment.

Saturday night, we went and browsed the Round Rock Outlet Mall to get some birthday gifts, and some new running shoes for me. I've heard you're only supposed to use the same pair for about 6 months, then move on to a new pair. If that's true, then I was about 18 months overdue.

Photobucket
I put them on the next day to work out, and stepped in
dog crap just minutes after taking this picture.

Saturday was fun family time, but was *especially* nice, because my husband brought me home a dozen roses after he got off work. No special occasion, he was just being his sweet self. (He knows I'm a sucker for flowers, so I'm surprised he doesn't use this angle more often.) He also gave me a sweet card, but sorry folks, that's private. Some things you just have to keep yours & yours alone.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a nice, relaxing weekend. Especially considering that my week ended with bullshit like this ... a note a resident of ours turned in with her rent. A little background -- she never pays. Like, ever. Her balance with us is never less than $1,000.00 at any given time, and even this payment was only a few hundred dollars. Not to mention, we have sent her letters to come talk to us, but they always go unanswered. The phone number she gave us is out of service. But, according to her, we still owe her something.

Photobucket

You're right, we should go out of our way to have you stay with us again next year, so we can continue to chase after you for rent. To make it even more infuriating, we don't hand out renewal contracts to anyone. If you want to live here for another year, you have to come down to the leasing office & sign a lease, just like everybody else. The amount of ignorance, arrogance, and self-entitlement in the upcoming 20-somethings is enough to make you scream sometimes.

Three things I'm grateful for today:

1. Whataburger ketchup. (No worries, I didn't eat there.)
2. That there are only 72 hours standing between me & a vacation.
3. Netflix instant-viewing.

I'll try & blog again before we leave, but if it doesn't happen, I hope everyone has a fantabulous week next week, filled with nothing but peace & pastries. xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cuteness of your Dad is TOOOOO much!
Its cuteness overload!!! :)
I want to watch that movie!