Cruise Countdown Tickers

Friday, September 30, 2011

Days 4 and 5

Finally! I think I'm over the headache-y hump. Yesterday and today were fantastic, with only slight tinges of headaches each day. They came & left quickly both times, which was nice. Clearly, my body is still adjusting to the new way we're doing things these days, but overall, I have a feeling the worst physical symptoms are behind me.

I have to say that tonight I finally got creative about dinner, branched out, and the risk paid off. I decided we were going to have vegan BLT's, so I headed to HEB and grabbed some smoky bacon flavored tempeh. What the heck is tempeh, you ask? Soybeans, essentially, but technically it's a "highly nutritious fermented food made from soybeans, with a high protein content."


I fried this up in some healthy (but often misunderstood) coconut oil, toasted up some Udi's gluten free bread, piled on sliced tomato, green leaf lettuce, and subbed guacamole for mayo and voila! I have to say, it was surprisingly similar to the real thing, sans the grease, and it was GOOD. I wasn't sure how it would go once I opened the tempeh package, but thankfully it tasted better than it looked. That stuff downright scared the hell out of me at first.
(Sorry for no pictures of my food so far, I'm going to try and fix that over the next few days.)

At this point in our journey, I have to give props to my husband. He amazes me every single day. That he was even willing to do this in the first place is quite something, but the fact that he has abstained from meat, Red Bulls, and sweet tea for five days straight is downright amazing. Even just a few weeks ago, I would've never thought he would make it this long eating vegan. No complaints, either - just positive attitude, supporting text messages when I'm sniveling about everyone else in my office eating pizza, and a completely open mind about whatever food we might encounter over the next two weeks. I adore him, and have fallen in love all over again with this new, vegan version of my man. He's the bomb-dot-com, and I'm grateful he was willing to take on this challenge with me.

Good, solid sack time is a part of this cleanse, and it hasn't taken long to get used to sleeping more at night. My body literally starts to gently shut down around 9:30pm every night to go into cell-reparation mode, so I will pay attention to the signals I'm getting (think: incessant yawning) and hit the hay for now. No complaints the past two days, only good stuff. Love it.

Bring it, Day 6!

Love, peace & veggies.

No comments: