Cruise Countdown Tickers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Croissants and coffee.

My son said something really sweet and sad when I put him to bed tonight, and I wanted to write it down before I forget.  He showed me a sign his Dad hung on his wall for him, and I told him that was nice of Daddy to do.  He then thanked me for being such a good Mommy.  That took me by surprise, and I told him thanks, but he didn't have to thank me for it - it's my job.  He then said "I'm so lucky to have a good Mommy and Daddy - unlike some kids."  He sounded genuinely bummed at the thought of others not having good parents, and it was a little sad.  I'm hoping this grateful attitude will remain at least until his teenage years, when he then goes temporarily insane and forgets how "lucky" he is.  I do have hope though, because if I could be the teenager I was (think: horns shooting out of the head, hormones raging off the charts, phone stuck to my ear -- now you're getting the idea) and I could eventually realize how lucky I was to have my parents, I think he'll do the same later as well.  *crossing fingers*

Aside from the deep, ponderous thoughts of my 5 1/2 year old, there hasn't been too much going on lately.  It's dreadfully hot, even for Texas in June, so the goal each day is to find something to do that's cool.  We go to the public pool at the high school about 3 or 4 times a week, and that helps a lot (not to mention, I'm getting a great tan!).  Otherwise, we've browsed the blustery A/C filled mall a few times, gone to the public library, seen a lot of movies, and even gone ice skating.  In case some of you didn't know, my house is old, therefore my A/C is old.  We're talking 20+ years old.  Aside from throwing down $4k to gut the system and replace everything brand new, we've done everything we can think of to help our situation - updated the unit outside, put in new/more insulation in the attic, etc.  Even so, it gets up to about 79 or 80 degrees in our house during the hottest part of the day, so even a trip to the grocery store is something fun to do, just to cool down more.  At least there, you can practically stick your whole head into the frozen section and breathe a sigh of relief.  

When we're not swimming, browsing, or sticking our heads in freezers, we're at home watching lots of Spongebob, playing board games, and taking silly pictures.  Here are a few from yesterday:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This one I told him to act scared.  Pretty good!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
"Rockin' out", as he likes to call it.

Photobucket
"Don't laugh Zach!"

Photobucket
"Don't do it!!  Awwww!  You're laughing!"

Photobucket
"Normal" Mommy.

Photobucket
Playing "lemonade stand".  It's too damn hot for a real one.

Photobucket
This would be his shit-eating grin.

As you can see, we find plenty of things to occupy the time, and we have a ball in the process.  I'm treasuring every one of these moments, because it won't be long before he doesn't want anything to do with me, and will be more interested in his friends.  Sigh.

The only other thing going on is this Saturday - Aaron and I are going on a date.  Oh yeah, baby, that's right!  An actual date!  My heart flutters at the thought.  We have noticed lately that we've fallen into the trap that a good marriage can set for you, where you start to get a little too comfortable and start forgetting to do the little things that kept you interested in the first place.  So, Aaron's solution was we ought to start dating again, and I 100% agree!  I am so looking forward to this, I might even go buy a new outfit for it.  And you know if I said something like that, it MUST mean I'm excited!

Guess I will go lie down, and call it a night.  My smooth jazz CD on iTunes has just come to an end, and my eyes are getting heavy.  Zach is snoring, as is my old-man dog, so I have to jump on their bandwagon.  I will update soon, and will let you know how my date went!  ;-)  Tee hee!

*PS - In case you were curious, the title of this blog is what I'm looking forward to in the morning.  That's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dating! YEAH!! I want to date! Lets double date too!
Woohoo!
Looooved the pics!
Love Bec