Cruise Countdown Tickers

Monday, October 12, 2009

Checking in

My son has decided to go from age 7 to age 17 in about two weeks. What the hell?

Over the past 14 days, he has questioned repeatedly why he has to sit in a booster seat while in the car (it's only Texas law, but he thinks I'm personally condemning him to life with an elevated tush), snuck behind our backs and stayed up an hour past his bedtime on a school night (until he gave himself away, it was classic), refused to wear underwear with characters on it (when that's ALL he used to wear but now he just wants "big boy" solid colors), and asked for a pet. Even tonight, while he, Aaron, & I were doing one of our many weekly runs together, Aaron made a comment about not touching other people's mailboxes because they'll put him in baby jail and he corrected Aaron with, "No Daddy, I'm old enough for juvi now." Really? Is he going to ask for my car keys next?

He also let me know, as an after-thought, that three girls have told them they like or love him over the past few weeks. Um, pardon me? It only came up because he was complaining about a certain girl he's forced to sit next to everyday, and happened to mention that she said she loved him the other day, as if he was telling me he had bacon for breakfast. I asked for details on this profession of love from the little skank girl, and he said she was staring at him for a really long time the day before, while he packed up his backpack at the end of the day. It was bothering him that she was staring, so he asked, "what?!" and she said, "nothing, I just love you." (Wish I could blog the glazed-over look he imitated while mimicking the conversation.) I asked him how he responded and he said, "Ok, fine, whatever, just stop staring at me all the time." I asked if she responded, and he said she just said ok. Oh boy.

As I sat there digesting the gall of six-year old girls these days & comparing it to how my friends & I would have rather *died* than admit to a boy we loved them, he tells me in his non-chalant tone, "She's like the third girl who's told me that this year, Mommy." Wait, what?! Back up! Third?! When did the other two happen?! He said, "I dunno, sometime last week." Yet he never mentioned a word to us about it - that's how far girls still are from his radar screen. Thank God?

One of the other girls is one that was in his class year, whom we dubbed "Hannah Montana". (This girl has been singing Hannah Montana songs every single second of every single day for the last two years, so that's how she earned her name.) She also had a crush on him last year, and was not afraid to tell the world about it - thanks, Hannah Montana. Teach 'em to pour their hearts out (in song?) to whichever boys they have the hots for - when they're only six? Gah! The third little lady is a very sweet girl who is usually just one of the boys & can joke around with Zach & his friends. I don't know if she let it slip or if she intentionally told him, but either way, it's out there & Z's reaction was an "um, oooooooook." Nice. Glad he doesn't feel awkward about showing how much he doesn't reciprocate their feelings. 'Atta boy! Keep them away! I'm not ready for this yet!

I'm a little shocked at how things have changed since I was kid. And I know I sound like an old fart saying something like that, but honestly, boys were icky when I was in first grade. Hell, they were downright disgusting until about 7th grade, if I remember correctly. When did it become ok for girls to be so open about their feelings - or when did they start having feelings like this in the first place while still so young?! Argh! What happened to classy? What happened to a little mystery? What happened to being pursued? Girls just throw it all out there now? Good grief. Middle school ought to be interesting.

Other than my resistance to becoming a progressive Mom, things have been kosher and steady. Aaron's parents just got back from a trip to Barbados, and we were jealous. The pictures were incredible, as were their stories. That reminds me - only 125 days left till our cruise! Yahoo! I would post some pictures from their trip, but they were sent to me via Kodak's website, and the pics are protected on that site. Trust me, they were stunning ... very screen-saverish.

As I mentioned before, Z asked us if he could get a pet. He had really been wanting to bond with something lately, and he talked about it constantly. He asked which he could have between a bunny, a hamster, or a fish. Yup - it was fish, all the way. (Just say no to poop!) We took him to several pet stores and let him pick out his favorite little dude. He originally wanted a goldfish, but also really wanted to be able to keep his new buddy in a bowl that he could move from room to room. Since goldfish need to be in an aerated tank or else they'll die, he went with his only option - a beta. It's red and shiny, so he named him Sparky. Aaron taught him all about how to do the rocks, clean the water, and feed the little guy. Z listened very intently.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I loved his choice of rocks - disco!

We already prepared Zach that betas (or any fish, really) don't have long lives, so it's very likely we'll have to get another one in the coming months. He said he was ok with that, and I think he meant it. It's just fun to see him get excited about taking care of another living thing. He's always been such a sweetie, deep down.

(Another reason he has a harem of girls after him each year at school. Tramps! Smart ladies!)

Three things I'm grateful for today:

1. Making it to week 3 of our C25K plan!
2. COOL weather!
3. Hot baths.

Stay tuned, more to come. Until then, peace & pastries to everyone.

2 comments:

Angela Stockbridge said...

I remember practicing saying "I love you" to a boy in my room when I was in kindergarten, but I never got up the nerve to say it to him. I even remember his name- Brian. I think girls get starry-eyed crushes around that age, but it takes boys a lot longer to come around...

Becca said...

Woah! That is alot of girls early on in the year!
I was not even allowed to call boys!! Times have changed! He is a handsome one.. at least the girls have good taste :)

Sorry about the booster seat Z... It will keep ya safe! I know lots of kiddos that are not thrilled.